Earlier this week we went for an afternoon walk to Portchester Castle, which isn’t very far from us, and I’ve mentioned it here before I think.
One of the reasons we like walking here, is because it’s on the edge of Portsmouth Harbour, and the dogs can play in the water if they choose to.
This occasion was now exception. This time however Ruby lost her ball in the surf, and couldn’t see where it was. Having the advantage of height I could see where it was, and was trying to point it out to her. As I had my wellingtons on, I started to wade out towards the ball, although it became clear that: 1) It was going to be out of my depth and; 2) My right boot was leaking quite badly!
I had though earlier in the week that my boot might have a small hole, as my socks would occasionally be a little damp after we’d been for a walk, but on this occasion I was sure.
I got back on the shore, and leaning against the Castle wall, took off my boot and drained out a significant amount of water. Looking at the boot, I could now see the cause of the problem, because the seawater had washed away most of the mud from the boot. The whole sole of the boot was parting company from the rest of the boot, and letting the water in.
I think this is the third pair of wellingtons that I’ve gone through in a year, I do wear them nearly every day in the winter months, and in spring and autumn too, but three pairs is a little much. They seem to last long enough for me to either loose the receipt or pass the point where the manufacturer will replace them.
I do have another pair, which are a little on the small side and therefore not very comfortable, but I’ll be looking for another pair of boots!