This is a hot Ragu sauce for pasta, that can be made in about 45 minutes, and serves up to 4 people depending on appetite. You’ll need:
- 1 large white onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 3 or 4 medium sized mushrooms
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper
- 10 large basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt & Pepper for seasoning
- 500g extra lean minced beef (approx weight)
- 1 tin of plum tomatoes or chopped tomatoes
- 1 glass of red wine (optional)
- 2 beef oxo cubes (other stock cubes are available)
- 80 – 100 grams / per person dried pasta shapes
- Grated parmesan or other cheese for garnish
- Peel and finely chop the onion, and garlic and chop the mushrooms and pepper (this is a hot sauce so don’t deseed the pepper, but if you prefer a milder flavour you will want to remove the seeds).
- Add the oil to a suitable sized pan over a medium heat, when the oil is warmed through add the onion, garlic and mushrooms, and sweat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the minced beef and cook until well browned. Continue to cook the onion, garlic, mushroom and beef mixture for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the chilli pepper and mix the combine throughout the mixture.
- Add the tomatoes. If you’re using plum tomatoes, roughly
chop-up in the pan with a knife or blade of a spoon. Add approximately 1/2 a tin of water to the mixture, depending on how much liquid has come out of the beef and tomatoes.
- Roughly chop the basil leaves and add about half to the
mixture, along with the stock cubes, and salt and pepper to taste (remember there will be some salt already in the stock cubes, so don’t over do the seasoning).
- Make sure the mixture is well combined and continue to simmer on a low heat for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. If there is too much liquid present remove the saucepan lid to aid evaporation.
- In another pan bring enough water to cook your pasta to the boil, add a little olive oil to the water to prevent the pasta sticking.
- Once the water is boiling add the pasta and cook according to the packet instructions.
- Add the remaining basil to the meat sauce just before serving, and remove from the heat.
- Drain the pasta and serve with the ragu sauce, garnish with the grated cheese.