I spent yesterday on the allotment, clearing the weeds from the fruit bed. It took a good few hours, and my back aches as a result but I’m pleased with how it looks now. I’ve still got some pruning to do, particularly the gooseberry bushes, and I want to mulch the whole bed with the remaining straw that I bought a while ago. If there’s anywood chips left at the allotment car park I might use some of those too.
With the rain that we’ve had this week, the weeds came out really easily, which is great. My plot really suffers from creeping buttercup, and particularly the fruit bed, as it doesn’t get dug over regularly like the rest of the beds do. I ended up taking seven bags of weeds to the tip.